Monday 13 February 2012

Bookshelf Snooping - Karin Eider



1.     Your childhood favorite
My first love was a book of fairy tales in y grandmother's house. It was written in old German font and beautifully illustrated. Unfortunately it got lost or somebody else grabbed it when my grandmother died. I should remember to keep an eye open at flea markets and antique book shops!
As young girl then I was obsessed by the Hanni & Nanni series written by Enid Blyton.
2.      Your current favorite
It's rather difficult to chose one under your children, isn't it? *sigh* But if I really have to it would be The Black Dagger Brotherhood series by J.R. Ward. I've recently read the whole series again, just because of the German release of the latest book. Of course, I've already read the English version, I can't wait such long!
3.      Your top five authors
In no particular order: J.R. Ward, Alexandre Dumas, J.K. Rowling, J.R.R. Tolkien, Stephen King ... can I really just name five?!?
4.      Book(s) you’re reading now
I've just opened the door to Cornelia Funke's Inkheart series ... where I always ask myself to which book I literally want to find a door to get in there in person.
5.      Book(s) you’ve pretended to read
My first impulse was to say 'None!', but then just the other day I saw an announcement for an upcoming movie ... to my shame and as passionate lover of Lord Of The Rings (both, book and movie), I have to admit, that I've never read The Hobbit - I only know the audio book. That doesn't count as read, right?
6.      Book(s) you’ve bought for the cover
Again I'd love to say 'None!' ... but that's only half of the truth. I fancy books that look good in my book shelves. That for I've bought many of my favorites a second time, when a beautiful box set or special edition was released, e.g. Dan Brown's special illustrated edition of Angels & Demons and The DaVinci Code or the box set of His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman.
7.      Book you’re a champion for
There are so many books I love for different reasons and for exactly those reasons I would recommend or defeat them:
·         The Stand by Stephen King: Published in 1978, the possibility, that fiction becomes reality has never been more current and frightening.
·         The Count Of Monte Christo by Alexandre Dumas: No other book has ever portrait revenge in such a complex manner.
·         The Twilight Saga by Stephenie Meyer: A series, that satisfies the desire of my teenage-girl-heart.
·         The Perfume by Patrick Sueskind: The world of smells preserved between pages. Wonderful.
·         The Silent Miaow by Paul Gallico, Felidae by Akif Pirincci, Warrior Cats series by Erin Hunter: Must-reads for every cat owner.
·         Anne Franks Diary: A simple must read.
·         Die Goldhaendlerin (The Gold Merchant) & Die Wanderhure (The Wandering Whore) by Iny Lorentz: Strong heroines conquer their way in the Middle Ages.
·         Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen: In that particular case, I'm not sure, if I like the book or the movie (the version with Keira Kneightley) more?
·         I'm Off Then: My Journey Along the Camino de Santiago by Hape Kerkeling: Funny, entertaining and 'a cognition of the day' at the end of every chapter.
·         The Physician by Noah Gordon & The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett: The Middle Ages have never been described more colorful and alive and thrilling.
·         The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien: What else should I say than 'One book to rule them all'!
·         Ramses series by Christian Jacq: Satisfies my desire for ancient Egypt.
·         Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling: With every new release I admired her immense imagination and her ability to lay out secret hints more and more.
·         The Black Dagger Brotherhood series by J.R. Ward: Vampire warrior have never been sexier.
·         And many others named in this questionnaire or waiting in my book shelves...
8.      Book that changed your life
I wouldn't say changed ... I mean, it's quite a big impact for such a small word. But there's a book that made me think a lot, about life, fate and coincidence, possibilities and lost chances, me and my personality: The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho.
9.      Book you most want to read again for the first time
Unbelievable, but true, there are a few books in my shelves, I have read only once and they just wait for another turn: Ulldart series by Markus Heitz, The Millennium Trilogy by Stieg Larsson and The Swarm by Frank Schaetzing.
10.  Book you turn to for comfort
Actually, there's no particular book. When I feel for a special book, I read it!
11.  Favorite line from a book
"All that we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."
I'm not sure, if it's from the book or the movie, anyway it's from Lord Of The Rings, J.R.R. Tolkien.


Find more about my thoughts on reading, writing and Art Journaling over at my blog Nofretiris Dream Of Writing.



3 comments:

  1. Wow, you're the first person whose five favorites list I totally agree with. :-)

    I really love your lengthy list of books you're a champion for. And if you like cat books you need to check out the Book of Night With Moon, by Diane Duane.

    It was fun to snoop, Karin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you read any others by Cuehlo? I've read The Zahir and I absolutely adored it. Different from The Alchemist, but for me, I loved it more. I just bought another one and I'm SO looking forward to reading it...once I finish The Children of the Arbat by Rybakov....Russian epics...they take weeks to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The authors of our text talk about the Balding Award throughout their book. In previous versions, they even designed their text around this award. Given that our course is about TQM, an in-depth discussion of the Deming Award would seem to be appropriate. Why do I say this? If you look at the textbook, you see that the authors state that “the Deming Prize establishes a framework for a CWQC. BSOP 326 FULL COURSE LATEST

    ReplyDelete